Labor Day Weekend

This is late but I wanted to post about my Labor Day weekend! After taking a break last year, my mother-in-law and I completed our 4th Rock n Roll Half  Marathon!! WOO!


On Saturday morning, we had our first event. For the first time ever, we did the Mile On the Sand! It started at 8:30 AM (thank goodness) and there were actually a lot more people than I thought there would be. The weather felt pretty good–we had a strong breeze and that kept us hopeful for the big event the next day! Anyways, the Mile On the Sand was a lot harder than we anticipated…haha Walking/jogging on sand isn’t easy! We were a ways back in the crowd so that actually worked against us because all the sand got kicked up instead of being packed down which made it a lot harder–great workout though!


Later that day we we went to the Health & Fitness Expo to walk around and see what all there was this year. Brooks wasn’t the title sponsor this year so it definitely wasn’t as fun as the expos we had been to in the past 😦 We also noticed that there were very few tables for other races this time around. The first and second year we came to the expo, there were tables for races all over the country but there were only 3 or 4 this time.

I did get some new running shoes from the Brooks setup they had which was awesome! My Asics were really old and had been through 3 half marathons…it was time to say goodbye. My new ones feel amazing and I actually had to go up a half size! I got the Ghost 8 running shoes in Peacoat/Hollyhock/Capribreeze 🙂

IMG_7657 IMG_7659

After the expo we went to Toys R Us because my MIL wanted to buy Andie a little chair for the house. We looked around and there were some good choices but I found the best of all–an Elmo chair! Andie has been into Sesame Street and seems to really like Elmo. Every time she sees him she starts saying “la!” because of the song he sings for Elmo’s World; it’s so cute! I took the chair off the top shelf and told them to come to my aisle and as soon as Andie saw it, she squealed at the top of her lungs and said, “LA!!” haha 🙂 She’s been loving her little chair–thanks Nonna!


 My MIL Brenda made us some pasta that night so we could make sure we had some carbs for the next day and then we went to bed at a decent hour to get ready for our 5:45 wake-up. I woke up, got dressed, woke Andie up to nurse and laid her back down, and then we were on our way down to the convention center! We were able to park at the precinct which was AWESOME because it was just steps away from the start line–WIN. We got into the 14th corral so we didn’t actually start the 1/2 until about 7:30 AM and we started off really strong!!

IMG_7662 IMG_7663

The weather was overcast and misting which felt AMAZING. We were reaaaaally praying for overcast skies and for it not to be so hot! We kept up a 13:25 mile until about 6 – 6.5 miles and then I started not feeling so good. This was the first time I’d ever felt bad during a 1/2 so I was surprised. All of a sudden my stomach started feeling heavy, then the rest of me started feeling heavy, and I started getting a little light headed. I thought I was either going to throw up or pass out. UGH. We slowed down and thankfully, Brenda had brought us a couple applesauce pouches so I sucked one of those down. Eventually we got to a water/Gatorade station so I made sure and got both. After a little while, it kicked in and I felt so much better!! We were able to pick up our pace again although not to the level we were doing at the beginning. My finish time ended up being 3:11:59 which I was extremely happy with seeing as how it had been 2 years since our last 1/2 and I hadn’t trained that much this year! Also, so thankful my father-in-law was able to watch Andie during our races. Daniel had to work all weekend long because of the holiday so there was no way he could have been up with her all morning! 

IMG_7667 IMG_7668

No matter the time, it is such an incredible feeling to just finish. Especially this year since I was so worried I was going to pass out or something! Sometimes I get teary eyed crossing the finish line–I think it’s a combination of fatigue and pure happiness. If you ever get the chance to do one, I highly recommend it! I was definitely sore that day and the next 2 days and this year I wasn’t able to just relax since I have a toddler but I’m so glad we were able to do it. Until next year!



Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s